Voice search has become increasingly popular in recent years, thanks to the rise of virtual assistants like Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant. In fact, it is estimated that by 2022, voice-based shopping is expected to generate around $40 billion in the United States alone. With such a significant impact on eCommerce, it is crucial for businesses to optimize their websites for voice search to stay competitive in the digital landscape.
Voice search differs from traditional search in several ways. Firstly, voice queries tend to be longer and more conversational compared to typed queries. For example, while a person may type “best running shoes,” they are more likely to ask their virtual assistant, “What are the best running shoes for women under $100?”
Understanding these nuances is essential for eCommerce businesses looking to optimize their websites for voice search. Here are some tips for successful voice search optimization for eCommerce SEO:
1. Focus on long-tail keywords: As mentioned earlier, voice searches are usually longer and more conversational. It is crucial to identify and optimize for long-tail keywords that reflect how people speak rather than how they type. Conduct thorough keyword research to understand the specific phrases and questions users might ask when searching for products in your niche.
2. Answer common questions: Many voice searches are in the form of questions, as users seek immediate answers to their queries. By understanding the frequently asked questions in your industry, you can create content that directly addresses these queries. This could be in the form of blog posts, FAQs, or product descriptions that not only provide valuable information but also help your website rank higher in voice search results.
3. Optimize for local search: Mobile voice searches show a strong correlation with local intent. Phrases like “near me” or “in [location]” are commonly used in voice searches. It is crucial for eCommerce businesses to optimize their website for local search queries by including location-specific keywords and ensuring their Google My Business listing is up-to-date. This can significantly increase visibility and attract potential customers in your local area.
4. Improve website speed and mobile-friendliness: Voice searches are often performed on mobile devices, so having a mobile-friendly website is crucial. Additionally, website speed is an important factor for both voice and traditional search optimization. Ensure your website is optimized for mobile, loads quickly, and provides a seamless user experience to capitalize on voice search traffic.
5. Utilize structured data markup: Implementing structured data markup, such as Schema.org, can help search engine crawlers understand the context of your website content. This, in turn, enhances the chances of your website being featured in search results using rich snippets. These rich snippets provide users with more detailed and relevant information, making your website more appealing and increasing the likelihood of attracting potential customers.
Optimizing for voice search requires a strategic approach and a deep understanding of how users interact with virtual assistants. By focusing on long-tail keywords, answering common questions, optimizing for local search, improving website speed and mobile-friendliness, and utilizing structured data markup, eCommerce businesses can improve their chances of ranking higher in voice search results and drive more targeted traffic to their website.
Investing time and effort into voice search optimization will undoubtedly pay off in the long run, helping eCommerce businesses stay ahead of the competition, attract more customers, and increase their revenue in the ever-evolving digital landscape.